Recently a petroleum construction company owner and experienced Petroleum Mechanic was seriously injured while working on a submersible pump. Because the pump was not properly grounded, he suffered an electrocution resulting in hospitalization. Thankfully he did not suffer serious damage and hopefully will make a full recovery.
The POST committee is awaiting the final report from the Ministry of Labour and expect to work in conjunction with them as well as the OPCA, TSSA and ESA to prevent this incident in the future. In the meantime, it is recommended that all contractors ensure all equipment is properly grounded and take all necessary precautions before handling any energized equipment. It is also important to have a Licenced Electrician confirm the site has proper grounding and to test for live voltage before touching any electrical component, like an STP or dispenser. All learnings from this incident will be shared once investigations are complete.